Best Dog Food For Pitbulls: The Ultimate Guide 2019
Last Updated on
If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the Best Dog Foods for Pitbulls, then we recommend the Natural Balance Dog Food as the best one.
Your Pitbull is a bundle of energy. It is playful, enthusiastic, affectionate, strong, and muscular. If you want to keep your beloved Pitbull as healthy as possible, feed it with the best dog food for Pitbulls. Factors to consider in relation to (dog food) include fat content, protein content, calcium, and fiber.
In this article, we’re going to review the following 5 Best Dog Food For Pitbulls
What is in Dog Food?
According to the (Association of American Feed Control Officials) , common ingredients in dog food include meat, poultry, plant ingredients, vitamins, minerals, meat by-products, poultry by-products, animal by-product meal, poultry meal, meat meal, meat and bone meal, vegetable fats, amino acid additives, and preservatives, among other ingredients.
You need to check out the ingredient list to determine if a product is the best dog food for Pitbulls. You should watch out for ingredients that can cause food allergies.
• You should avoid dog foods that do not have a meat product among the first few ingredients listed.
How Much Protein Does a Pitbull Require?
Normally a Pitbull needs 2 grams of (high-quality animal protein) per kilogram of body weight, each day. An adult male Pitbull weighs around 70 pounds.
A young Pitbull weighs 30 to 50 pounds.
Protein is the basic building block of almost every cell of a Pitbull's body. Proteins create muscles. Proteins will repair damaged tissues and facilitate bone growth.
Chicken is one of the protein sources.
However, you should be cautious with dog foods that have chicken because most dogs are allergic to it.
Choose Protein Rich Dog Food
You need protein-rich dog food. The diet of an adult Pitbull should have around 18% of protein and that of a growing puppy should have roughly 22% of protein. Younger puppies need more proteins than adults do because they are growing.
How Many Calories Does Your Pitbull need every day?
An active adult Pitbull needs around 1700 calories a day. Lactating mothers, young dogs, and puppies require around 1100 calories a day. An old Pitbull should not have over 900 calories a day.
Weight, age, activity level, and metabolism will determine the suitable amount of calories. If you have problems figuring out the number of calories that your Pitbull needs, consult a veterinarian.
Choose Dog Foods with Healthy Carbohydrates
Healthy carbohydrates are better than junk carbohydrates. Healthy sources include brown rice, sweet potatoes, barley, and oatmeal.
The best dog food for Pitbulls has healthy carbohydrates. You should check out the list of ingredients.
High-Quality Dog Food Is 10% To 25% Fat
Good fats will promote a puppy’s healthy growth. They will also develop the puppy’s immune system and help with the absorption of vitamins.
Fat provides energy and regulates body temperature. It also gives a Pitbull its shiny coat.
Watch Out for Dog Foods that Can Cause Allergies
Unfortunately, Pitbulls are prone to food allergies. 
That is because they eat a lot. Dogs with pinkish skin and white coats are susceptible to allergies.
To deal with the problem of allergies, start by checking the ingredients of your dog’s food. Common irritants for Pitbulls include wheat, soy, corn, meat by-products, and cornmeal.
A dog with food allergies will have symptoms such as rashes, scratching, licking, nausea, and unusual bowel movements.
Should You Buy a Hypoallergenic Dog Food?
This will be a good choice if your dog has food allergies.
Most pit bulls are allergic to grains. Hypoallergenic dog food does not have grains. It also does not have other allergens such as soy, eggs, corn, and gluten.
Water makes up around 80% of a Pitbull’s lean body mass. Water is life. Water aids digestion regulates body temperature and transports nutrients.
Your dog’s water requirements depend on environmental temperature, activity level, and health. A dog that feeds on high moisture foods will need less water. Most dogs normally self regulate their water intake. The best water for your pitbull is filtered tap water.
What is the Best Way to Feed Your Pitbull?
You should not give your Pitbull too much food. That will make it overweight. Obesity will lower your dog’s lifespan.
You need to take note how much your dog can consume in one sitting. Once you give the food, stay there to find out how much your Pitbull will eat in one sitting.
If there are leftovers, leave them for 30 minutes and then put them away.
Doing so will train your dog to eat food within 30 minutes.
That is a good allowance for your pet. If you leave your dog unattended, there is a tendency it will consume all the food.
Check Out 5 of the Top Dog Foods for Pitbulls
1) Natural Balance Dog Food
This grain-free dog food is perfect for dogs of all sizes and breeds. It is a potato and duck formula. Thus, it is rich in carbohydrates, proteins, and minerals.
• This product has the most extensive selection of unique proteins that will help your puppy to grow into a healthy and strong adult.
• Natural Balance dog food uses simple formulas. This limits ingredients minimizing the possibility of food sensitivities.
• Potatoes formulate the product. Potatoes are easily digestible by dogs and they are a fantastic grain-free energy source.
• It is ideal for puppies and adult dogs. This product has complete and balanced nutrition for all dog breeds during all life stages.
• The product is 100% safe because it has undergone nine safety tests. Dog owners can rest assured that this product would not compromise the health of their pets.
• Natural Balance Dog Food will enhance the dog’s digestive health resulting in healthy skin and a luxurious coat.
• The product helps to maintain the dog’s proper body weight, therefore, facilitating optimum health.
• There are no artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. That reduces the chances of food allergies.
• Some dogs might not like the darker color of the food. However, most dogs will not have a problem with the color.
• The kibble size is too big for some dogs.
2) Wellness Grain Free Dog Food
The Wellness Grain Free Dog Food has balanced natural nutrition for overall health and vitality. It is available in a range of flavors and ingredients.
It is hypoallergenic dog food. There are no grains and other allergic ingredients.
• Has a perfect balance of minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates, fat, and protein, to support overall health and vitality.
• This product uses the finest natural ingredients to create the most nutritious and delicious recipes for your pets.
• Its hypoallergenic nature makes it ideal for Pitbulls with food allergies. It does not have preservatives, colors, artificial colors, meat by-products, soy, corn, wheat, and other allergic ingredients.
• Made in The USA and backed by a Wellness Guarantee.
• This product has carefully selected ingredients that support and maintain healthy eyes, skin, coat, teeth, gums, skin, coat, and immunity.
• The wide range of flavors available will provide a great taste that your dog will enjoy.
• It has Probiotic to improve the digestive health of dogs.
• Omega fatty acids in the product will facilitate the development of puppies.
• It costs over $50 but it is worth the cost.
• Smells super fishy but most dogs will tolerate the smell.
3) Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet Dog food is a clinically proven blend of vitamins and antioxidants. It helps to support the dog’s immune system making it less prone to illnesses.
• Biology-based dog food that uses a science perfected for decades involving thousands of pet nutritionists, scientists, and veterinarians.
• Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food is available in a variety of unique formulas ideal for all sizes of dogs. There is a perfect formula for small and large dogs.
• Hill’s Science Dog Food nourishes skin coat because it is rich in Vitamin E and C. It promotes a glossy coat.
• This product is a complete, nutritionally balanced dry dog food with high-quality ingredients that are easy to digest.
• Hill’s Science Diet formulation considers the dietary needs of dogs with sensitive stomachs. All ingredients are hypoallergenic. There are no grains, preservatives, or meat by-products.
• This is a delicious treat for dogs. It has awesome flavors.
• This product will not work for all dogs. However, it works for most dogs that have allergies. If a problem persists, you should consult a veterinarian.
• There might be a need to use the product for some time to see changes.
4) IAMS Proactive Health Dog Food
IAMS Proactive Health Dog Food has real natural ingredients that will promote health and vitality at every stage of a dog’s life. The main ingredient is chicken. The others include wholesome grains, beet pulp, fruit garnishes, and garnishes of vegetables.
• IAMS dog food has L-carnitine. This maintains a healthy metabolism and helps to burn fat.
• This product has seven essential nutrients that promote heart health.
• Omega-6 fatty acids that the product has will promote healthy skin and coat.
• The product has proteins sourced from chicken and egg. These will promote the development of healthy, strong, and firm muscles.
• IAMS Proactive Health Dog Food has antioxidants that support a strong immune system.
• It is a vegetarian recommended dog food with real natural ingredients including wholesome grains and vegetables. There are no artificial flavors, additives, and colors, likely to cause allergies.
• The crunchy kibbles will scrub your pet’s teeth with every bite, reducing bad breath and plaque.
• It is ideal for dogs of all sizes.
• Has chicken, some dogs are allergic to chicken. However, most dogs can handle chicken.
• You cannot use this product alone. You will need to use it with other dog foods.
5) Nutro Wholesome Essential Adult Dry Food
The Nutro Wholesome Dog Food is 100% natural. It does not have genetically modified ingredients. This product is perfect for every life stage of your dog. It is ideal for different dog breeds.
• Each Nutro Essentials product has real and recognizable ingredients. There are no chicken by-products, soy protein, wheat, corn, and artificial flavors. These usually cause food allergies in dogs.
• This product is a source of high-quality animal proteins that will help to promote the development of strong and healthy muscles.
• The company behind Nutro Essentials sources ingredients from trusted farmers in America. There is a quality guarantee.
• Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids present in the product will promote healthy skin and a shiny coat.
• The product has a blend of 12 vibrant super foods for ultimate pet health.
• Natural fibers present in the product will promote healthy digestion.
• Every cup of the product is nutrient dense. Your dog will get the right amount of calories and other nutrients.
• The product has minerals that will promote bone health and prevent arthritis in dogs.
• Although all ingredients are non-GMO, there might be trace amounts of genetically modified material because of potential cross contact during manufacturing.
Natural Balance Dog Food is the best dog food for Pitbulls. It is rich in proteins, vitamins, carbohydrates, and minerals.
It has the most extensive selection of proteins needed by a Pitbull for the development of strong and firm muscles.
In addition, it is hypoallergenic because it does not contain grains and artificial additives.
The simple formulas of Natural Balance Dog Food will reduce food sensitivities, which is a common problem in Pitbulls.
This ultimate formula will fulfill the nutritional needs of a Pitbull from when it is a puppy to adulthood.
The nine safety tests that the product undergoes ensure that it is safe for Pitbulls. There are easily digestible ingredients.
All ingredients are 100% natural.
Quality dog food has a higher price tag. The Natural Balance Dog Food costs around $90. However, it is worth the cost. Cheap food has low-quality ingredients that will cause health issues resulting in a higher veterinary bill, down the road.