Best Dog Food For Golden Retriever Guide 2019
Last Updated on
If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the Best Dog Food For Golden Retriever, then we recommend the Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Dry Dog Food for Adult, Duck as the best one.
The Golden Retriever is perhaps the most popular family dog in America. And it holds this stellar reputation with good reason. It is not only amongst the gentlest and most friendly breeds that you could bring home but is also intelligent, observant and obedient. This makes a Golden Retriever a great addition to any home, and family.
In this article, we’re going to review the following Top 5 Best Dog Food For Golden Retriever
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Dry Dog Food for Adult, Duck
- Merrick Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Recipe, Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food for Large Breed Puppy
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food, Sweet Potato, and Fish Formula
- Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food Chicken and Oatmeal Recipe
Choosing the Best Dog Food for Golden Retriever
Lord Tweedmouth of the Scottish Highlands is credited for the clever breeding that resulted in a new breed, the Golden Retriever. Its genes include the Yellow Retriever, Tweed Water Spaniel, Bloodhound, and Irish Setter.
Golden Retriever are large dogs that require a healthy, well-balanced diet and regular exercise.
They are known to be undiscerning in their eating, and obesity is a common health issue they face. This makes it very important for dog owners to choose the best dog food for a golden retriever.
You would also need to ensure that you are not over-indulgent with the doggie treats.
Dog Food by Life Stage
The National Research Council of the National Academies recommends that a healthy adult Golden Retriever weighing about 70 pounds be fed 1740 calories. Older dogs and those that have been spayed or neutered would need slightly less.
Of course, the calories your dog should consume will also depend on the amount of physical exercise it gets.
It would be a good idea to speak to your veterinarian about how much dog food you should give your pet.
Since an animal’s nutrient requirements change based on age and life stage, the Association for American Food Control Officials has established two distinct nutrient profiles.
The first is for growth and reproduction, this includes puppies, pregnant and nursing animals.
And the second is for maintenance for adult dogs. (1)
When you are looking for the best dog food for Golden Retriever, you would choose the food based on the age of your pet.
And therefore most dog food brands offer several products ranges suitable for puppies, adults, and seniors. Some pets need special care, and for them, you would have to select dog food that is specially formulated for their condition.
Attention to the Ingredients
It is important that you pay keen attention to the ingredients that a product offers. Experts say that the best dog food for Golden Retriever should contain proteins from a good source. It is best to stay clear of brands that use meat by-products.
For a puppy, the intake of protein should be 22% of its diet. In contrast, adult dogs require 18% of proteins in their food for maintenance. (2)
Fats are an excellent source of energy for dogs.
They also offer the animal fat-soluble vitamins and omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that keep the skin, coat, brain, and heart functionally optimally. Fats should account for 5% of an adult Golden Retriever’s meal.
For a puppy, it should be 8%. It is important that you are aware of the fact that many brands offer dog food that contains more fat than necessary as it makes the food tastier for the dog.
Golden Retriever are large dogs with strong bones. Animal nutritionists recommend that your pet should receive adequate calcium and phosphorous to maintain a healthy skeletal system.
The ideal ratio between the mineral is 1.2:1. It should list this information on the dog food packaging, especially that for puppies.
While cereals such as wheat are not bad for your dog, they are not essential to its diet either.
Opting for dog food without grains can help you keep your pet’s weight under control. It can also help avoid food allergies that are common to this food group.
On a dog, food package takes note of the ingredients that are listed first, as these are the key ingredients in the recipe. Good dog food should not list a cereal, vegetable or tuber as its first or second key ingredient.
Experts say that your pet’s food should contain one or two key ingredients. Avoid dog food that contains additives, artificial flavoring, preservatives, and coloring.
It is a good idea to speak to the veterinarian, and also consult the meal portions advised on the dog food packaging.
A puppy should ideally be fed three or four times a day, while an adult dog would usually have two meals.
It is best to keep snacks or treats to a minimum. Human food, leftovers, and scraps are best avoided for your beloved Golden Retriever.
Best Dog Food for Golden Retriever
1. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Dry Dog Food for Adult, Duck
- This high protein grain free dog food has deboned duck and chicken meal as its primary ingredients.
- It is formulated to meet the needs of the adult Golden Retriever and contains glucosamine to promote better bone and joint health.
- Menhaden fish meal is a listed ingredient and provides your pet Omega 3 fatty acids which are known to improve overall health.
- Vitamins and minerals are included in the recipe so as to offer the dog balanced and nutritious meals.
- The dog food does not contain any chicken by-products, wheat or soy.
- Available in 4.5 lb to 25 lb packs.
- Some dogs and owners may not like the smell of the product.
- The product may not be suitable for all dogs. It may be best to try a small packet to begin with a small pack of the product.
2. Merrick Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato Recipe, Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- This grain-free recipe consists of 70% proteins and fats, and 30% fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- It uses all natural ingredients and does not contain artificial preservatives, corn, wheat or soy.
- The top five ingredients listed include deboned buffalo, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, turkey meal, and fish meal.
- The product is rich in proteins from as many as four sources.
- The packaging is informative and features guidelines with regard to feeding size and calories offered.
- Dogs with arthritis and diabetes have been found to benefit from this recipe.
- Excellent kibble size.
- More expensive than some other dog food brands in the market.
- The product can make some dogs gassy.
- May not be suitable for dogs with allergies.
3. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food for Large Breed Puppy
- The recipe uses lamb meat and brown rice as its key ingredients. It also includes whole grain wheat and sorghum.
- The dog food is rich in proteins and fats, and also in vitamins and minerals which are sourced from many other ingredients.
- Good levels of calcium help the puppy’s bones grow strong. Glucosamine and chondroitin from natural sources promote good development of joints and muscles.
- Does not contain artificial colors, preservatives, and flavors.
- The product is well priced.
- Size of the kibble is quite big.
- May not suit all puppies.
4. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food, Sweet Potato, and Fish Formula
- This product is grain free and uses only a limited number of ingredients. This makes it great for Golden Retrievers who may have digestive ailments or suffer from food sensitivities.
- The fish in the dog food recipe is a good source of proteins and would keep your dog’s muscle tone strong.
- Sweet potato is another key ingredient that offers the dog easy to digest carbohydrates and keeps energy levels high.
- The dog food is rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids that keep the skin and coat healthy.
- It does not contain artificial colors, preservatives or flavoring.
- You would have to deal with fishy dog breath.
- Food needs to be stored in airtight containers.
- Some dogs may take time getting used to the taste and smell of the food.
5. Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food Chicken and Oatmeal Recipe
- This dog food has been created specifically for adult dogs.
- It is made in the USA and sourced from fresh meats, grains, and vegetables.
- It contains deboned chicken and oatmeal and will be both delicious as well as satisfying for your pet.
- The dog food contains no meat by-products, preservatives, and fillers.
- It also contains antioxidants from spinach, blueberries, and flaxseed, which promote better health.
- There is a distinct change in the dog’s coat and in energy levels when it eats this food.
- Contains oatmeal, which may not be suitable for all dogs.
- The dog food needs to be stored in an airtight container.
- If not stored in an airtight container, it may become infested with bugs.
There are many brands that offer excellent dog food for your precious Golden Retriever. While making a choice may seem difficult, it can be simplified by simply paying attention to the ingredients used in each recipe.
You should choose dog food based on the age and life stage of your pet.
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Dry Dog Food for Adult, Duck, is a favorite of dog owners, and their pets alike.
The product offers your dog proteins from several sources including duck, chicken, peas, and fish. It offers Golden Retrievers a balanced meal, rich in proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals. It also contains antioxidants from natural ingredients that improve the animal’s immune system and health. To ensure that your Golden Retriever eats well, and gets adequate exercise daily.